Tuesday 27 May 2008

I am faymiss

At last! World Wide Web fame and coolness!!

WEMAKEITGOOD

Short version: I downloaded a Chris Devlin mix. This Chris Devlin, not that one. That one looks to be an uberdouche. Chris Devlin is one of the Spankrock DJs. Also on Alex Xxxchange's Fully Fitted half-label thing. He is cool. So in this mix, he has a track by a Safa called Margaret Mcingana, who is dead now, but made some rad tunes when she was alive. One of them was Pass the Calabash, which is the one in the mix. First black person on then Radio Five's top forty, or something. Check the Wikipedia entry. Anyway I was snowed with work at the time and it was late at night. So I did the unthinkable. I commented on the post about ol' Margaret's song and how cool it was to hear it in a 2008 mix by a Yank. It was actually the second time in short succession. A guy called DJ Balagan had done so a few months before. That's where Chris heard the song.

So we got to emailing about SA etc. I felt LANK COOL. Then it stopped. Then, out of the blue, months later, I get an email from Mr Devlin asking me if he can quote my 'liner notes' on the Calabash track, because he's used it in a new mix, for the We Make It Good guys (see above or just click that one). So go check that post, cos you'll see my wisdom quoted halfway down the tracklist. And if you look closely, you'll see I just copied info from the Wikipedia entry. I don't know all that much about 80s SA music, you know.

2 comments:

Greg said...

You've changed man. You used to be cool, but fame has changed you, MAN!

Dr Phil said...

Fuck sympathy! I don't need your fuckin' sympathy, man, I need my fucking johnson!

what a great film.