Saturday 24 February 2007

Diplodocus and Chinese New Year

Pronounced 'Dip-ploddikus', not Diplo-docus, as the eeedjit announcer last night did repeatedly. Shame said announcer was in fact Spoek Mathambo, so we'll forgive him this time. Sweat_X aka I'm a black Fred Flintstone with a crazy whiteboy beat machine are rather cool after all.

Anyway so ya, I went to the Diplo party at Carfax last night. Now I know many of you don't care. But I don't care that you don't care. So here it is.

Lark are terrible. This is now confirmed as incontrovertible fact. Sweat_X, as mentioned, were kinda funny more than cool, but some potential. The Real Estate Agents continue to improve, and have some new stuff. Altho some other stuff is still super shit. But they now wear Mexican wrestling masks a la Nacho Libre, which is a nice touch no doubt.

This malarkey all went on and on, making us wait til 2am for the man of the moment. Unbelievably, or not I guess - as I am beginning to properly understand Joburger mentality - about half the crowd LEFT as Diplo came on. No matter. He took a long time to get going, with lots of hard, dirty, rumbling electro glitch-pop sort of stuff up front. Basically what I mean is lots of grinding remixes of otherwise recognisable choons. Then he dropped all this stomping dancey stuff, and tore the roof off. My personal highlight was an all cut-up and broken Jump Around by House of Pain (every mlungu's favourite) massaged into Da Funk by Daft Punk, with all these crazy weird zooooweeeeewooooweeee noises over the top. Then some bassy rumble nonsense and into RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE! "And now you do what they told ya!" Yay for RATM's anti-capitalist social commentary...

Anyway much fun was had by me and some other cool people. That was the latest I have been out at a party since I moved here. Yes I am a dork, but yes there is also a serious paucity of decent club activities in Jozi.

Oh ja, I also went to Cyrildene for the Chinese New Year celebrations before shlepping to Newtown. Continuous fireworks. CONTINUOUS. One went through our table at head hight. But I'll leave it to Fran to post some pics and add some more details. Flippin cool tho. Could only buy beer by the 6-pack, in cans. Onetime. Gong xi fatt choi! Means I wish you all prosperity in this new Chinese year, which by the way belongs to the pig. I have all this on good authority.

The Doctor.

2 comments:

Greg said...

"paucity"!!! I like it i like it, i might try work that word into my thesis.

Alex said...

hello philly!