Thursday 27 August 2009

How much would you pay to see the Killers?

Or would they have to pay you?

Help me decide y'all. Is R300 to R500 worth a night with the Killers? I suspect not, but welcome dissenting voices. Here are my reasons:
  1. They are pretty rubbish. Ok their first album was fun. A lot, actually. One or two tracks from that album done live could be pretty awesome. But before you get excited, just listen.
  2. The Joburg venue is the Dome (other one is somewhere in the Cape). The Dome is positively the worst live music venue ever. Outdoor concerts generate better acoustics.
  3. South Africa's obession with a mile-square "golden circle" means that the "cheap" tickets aren't really an option. Especially since we're at the Dome, where, if you are standing at the back, the sound from the stage bounces off about 56 thousand curved surfaces before it only sort of gets to you. So actually we're talking R500. R526 to be precise. To put this in perspective, Oppi was R400 for the whole weekend and Bush Fire was R350 for the whole weekend. A pair of Converse hi-tops I just purchased from a Sunnyside shoe "store" cost R450. They're army colour and fckn rad.
  4. I really don't know this band's second album, or if, heaven forbid, they released a third. So I'm not the hugest fan. But like I said I'm pretty sure I'm not alone amongst this esteemed group of blogifiers in having bounced around once or twice in crap bars to their first few singles. Chicks dig it, that's for sure.
Hurry with your comments - tickets went on sale today!

10 comments:

Greg said...

1. They have released a third album, and its arse.

2. I am listening to the most awesome mix by DJ Eli.

3. The best live concerts i have ever seen (with the exception of the beastie boys and jurassic 5) have been in small, intimate venues. While the angle of the dangle is inversley proprtionate to the heat of the beat, the kakness of a concert increases exponentially with the size of the crowd. The same rule applies for sports games. I will mis Pearl Jam in November for this very reason.

4. The lead singer is a churchy mormon guy.

5. Nobody ever picks up at a concert. Its a scientific fact. GOOD GOD, you cant argue with science MAN!

Kez said...

Ok, while I recognise they are not everyone's favourite vegas mormons... some points in their defence:

1. Saw them live at Glastonbury and they positively rocked. Their music is made for sing-a-long staduim madness

2. First and second album always make me happy

3. Brandon Flowers is the most gorgeous mormon ever to don a silver sparkle suit and stick steer horns/antlers on his keyboard

Do I plan on going? yes. Will I be paying R526... not sure yet. Going to let time decide for me.

Dr Phil said...

Dude I never pick up anyway. I'm looking at anonymous groping. JUST JOKING LADIES. Jeez.

Kez I can't say your point 3 matters a great deal to me. Besides if you don't go golden you won't be able to see him.

Greg you are nuts to miss Pearl Jam. Just nuts. Oh my god I hate people who snub chances to see some of our favourite growing-up bands. You will never get the chance again; I will probably never ever get the chance. Don't be a doos.

I am still undecided on the Killers. Maybe it will sell out and help me save my money.

fran said...

Phil. I'm with Kerry - if there's any band to hear in a stadium environment, it would be the Killers. I think their appeal kind of increases the louder and scratchier the sound. I listen to them with some frequency on my very shitty car stereo at full blast whilst driving too fast ...
Plus. Its not really that expensive. About to spend a similar amount on seeing Leonard Cohen in about a month. Not that too are really comparable. Maybe I just blew that argument.

Kerry - Skype this weekend? Maybe? Am kind of homeless at the moment, so not sure if I'll have internet access wherever I end up crashing...

fran said...

Also. If anyone has the time, I'd welcome any suggestions on what I should go see this fall at my local.

I don't want to be obnoxious given Phil's quandary about whether to fork out for the Killers. But I feel like I keep missing things because I'm not paying attention.


The two venues are:

http://www.catscradle.com/schedule.html

and

http://www.local506.com/

Greg said...

Yo la tengo are supposed to be good live. DO NOT see the Fuck Buttons.

Dr Phil said...

I get the whole big stage show appeal, but the Dome is not a stadium. If this was at Ellis Park or something the decision would be easier. The Dome is that kak.

Fall? What is fall Fran? Isn't Ra Ra Riot supposed to be fun? Dan Deacon is weird enough to be worth checking live. Andrew Bird is oright for a lazy mid-week.

Paul said...

Points for the killers:
'Take me to the place where the white boys dance' is one of the greatest lines in a pop song.
Points against the Killers:
'Are we human or are we dancers' is one of the dumbest lines in a pop song ever.

Ja, I don't really know.... it just doesn't excite me enough to fork out half a grand. But i feel my choice may be vetoed.

But honestly, why do they have to keep bringing out bands whose careers are on a downward slide because they just released a poo record? I realise that Big Concerts or whoever are probably getting a super-recessionary discount rates from a desperate band, but seriously!

Fran, sending that giglisting hurts. But my suggestions:

Yo La Tengo are great live, not in terms of putting on a good act of any type (they just stand and play....loud!), but they are such great musicians

The Minus 5 evening also looks awsome.
I also think Dr Dog would be great to see live.
Atlas Sound is also getting a fair amount of interest at the moment.... it's a Deerhunter side project.

talya chalef said...

so just to annoy you.. as the self confessed music nerd that i am who can't really comment on much of the above..

however.. i did see yo la tengo live.. in melbourne when ramwah was in town and they are cool. go see them franny.

xoxox

Alex said...

Hey hon
Yo la tengo is good live. I am going to the Killers as I think it will be fun. Will Skype you soon
love Ali