Monday 8 December 2008

lists and more lists

As I said last year, year end lists rock.
So once again here's Time's list of best albums. They really are not a mag who I would expect to come up with good music recommendations, but I think that makes me more interested in their choices. Lil Wayne takes top spot (is this album really that good and why haven't i heard it?) beating TVOTR (taken me a while but I'm loving the new album). Strange inclusions from Metallica (wtf!?) and Girl Talk (it's just 2manydjs using american frat party music). Portishead is in their as well, but i still don't get the attraction of the latest album.

Also this article under the most underreported stories is amusing, and there are some great inclusions in teh best photos of the year.

For a more credible and extensive list on the music side, the amazon's editors top 100 is pretty good, although obviously very american.

On a completely different note, here's a random story that I think may interest some of you on how the consumer downturn in america has affected the price of recyclables just as it has done other commodities.

8 comments:

Greg said...

I agree that the Time list is interesting, but it seems a little ill informed. Besides all the factual inaccuracies, the reviews seem like they were stolen from someone else, or what the author expected the albums to soudnd ike without actually hearing them. Its like a top ten of what its cool to say is cool right now. thats just my take on it anyway...

I heard the new Metallica was pretty good actually, and even weirder, i've been reading reviews that say the new GnR is also excellent, but 13 years too late.

Dr Phil said...

his album is called tha carter III! It must be brilliant!

the GNR is rubbish. at least the lead single is. axl has to share the mic these days!

Greg said...

Also just read the amazon list, and any interweb 'best of' music list with KoL in top spot isnt worth its place in the ether i'm afraid. this sex is on fire? Um, ok cowboy. Dont get me wrong, i dig KoL, but the new album is mindles pap. I'm enjoying judging other peoples lists, i'm gonna do some blogging tonight.

Paul said...

I've only heard the first single from the metallica album. At first I thought it was a Saffer band trying to sound like metallica. Mr Hetfield's voice is sounding really weak, and they sound like they're just trying to put a whole lot of riffs from their old albums into one song. Also been hearing bad things about the GnR.

But I'm digging the KoL. It's good fun stadium rock. Nothing too high-brow, but rock n roll was never supposed to be clever, just fun.

Dr Phil said...

oh no i feel personal best of lists coming on. i went through some of my 2008 music last night and actualy couldn't find a helluva lot that excites me. some cool remixes and singles, but not so many albums. still listening to 2007 stuff a lot.

Dr Phil said...

Ahahaha amazon has rodriguez at number 80something on their list!

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Fact-Rodriguez/dp/B001BKVWYG/ref=br_lf_m_1000303401_4_98_clkmr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=music&pf_rd_p=465317231&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000303401&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0EJ35DWK1BQY68EWSP9K


Apparently "A decade ago, he was rediscovered working on a Detroit building site, unaware that his defining album had become not only a cult classic, but for the people of South Africa, a beacon of revolution."

Really? I know Cold Fact is popular here, but I didn't know it was important to the ANC's struggle.

Paul said...

haha... I missed that.
Did you see earlier this year Richard Haslop slated the album when it was reissued in his business day column. it was a great review basically questioning why the fuck south africans could think it was so great.

Greg said...

Dude, are you high? What was released in 2007 that was so good that it completely overshadows everything in 2008? I think Phil the Contrarian should be barred from publishing his list on the blog. Agreeable Phil is allowed to, however.